Founded in 1897, Becton Dickinson is a New Jersey based medical technology company that manufactures and sells medical devices, instruments systems, and reagents. Currently this medical technology giant employs more than 65,000 employees who are serving in more than 190+ countries around the world in order to address some of the most challenging global healthcare issues. It is one of the largest globally recognized medical technology companies which are advancing the world of health by improving medical discovery, diagnostics and the delivery of care. BD helps its customers to enhance outcomes, lower costs, increase efficiencies, improve safety and expand access to health care. BD was one of the first companies to sell U.S.-made glass syringes. It was also a pioneer in the production of hypodermic needles. Today, BD is divided into two segments: BD Medical and BD Life Sciences. Recently it has got recognized in FORTUNE’s 2017 World’s Most Admired Companies list.
Eyeing the Indian Market
This medical pioneer has its deep roots in India. BD started its Indian operations back in 1995 and within two decades, it has grown to a prominent stature. It has a manufacturing plant in Bawal, Haryana with a capacity to churn out over a billion medical devices of international standards that get exported to over 50 countries. This plant has aided in designing latest products in hypodermic medical solutions, immunization, diabetes control and peripheral catheter drug delivery system that speeds up the diagnosis process and helps healthcare professionals and patients use the products correctly, reduce the risk of infection and minimize discomfort to patients.
In India, BD is deploying its innovation, knowledge and expertise, aimed at enhancing the medical practices, and creates healthcare impact by:
- Improving standards of Safety and Infection Control – Their clinical advisors work with several hospitals across India to coordinate quality training for nurses and healthcare professionals in infusion techniques.
- Strengthening clinical laboratory practices – BD help laboratories minimize pre-analytical errors by relentlessly educating phlebotomists on best sample collection practices.
- Facilitating high-impact public health programs in chronic diseases such as HIV/AIDS, Diabetes and Cervical Cancer – The company offer technology and expertise to work with a host of stakeholders including NGOs, medical community and humanitarian groups.
- Enabling cell therapy and driving pharma/life sciences industry collaborations: They work towards creating new knowledge and technologies for enhancing human health through modern biology.
Ready for Future Challenges
BD is one of the top five largest medical technology companies in the world, and is leading in areas that are critical to the future of healthcare industry and society at large. Antimicrobial Resistance (AMR) is a threat that can potentially set back economic development across the globe. BD’s relevance in combating AMR is broad and deep with its array of product solutions relevant to improving patient safety in multiple procedure categories: infection prevention and control, diagnostics, medication preparation/dispensing/delivery, informatics and surveillance.
Diverse and Distinctive Portfolio at BD
Their long-term strategy is to provide leading medical technologies and innovative solutions for their customers and their patients. The company always aims towards providing sustainable healthcare by increasing access, drive better outcomes, and improve health care safety, through its diverse portfolio in:
Medical by improving medication management across the continuum of care, and leading in infection prevention and health care safety. Few examples:
- PleurX™ Catheter System is now available for patients for managing malignant and recurrent pleural effusions.
- Vascular Access Management portfolio that addresses IV-related complications beyond peripheral IVs into midlines, central lines and ports with its extensive and strengthened solutions.
Life Sciences by enhancing the diagnosis of infectious disease and cancer and empowering research insights. Few examples:
- BD FACSymphony™ S6 cell sorter is the newest advance in its 40-year history of leadership and innovation in flow cytometry, and demonstrates their ongoing commitment to helping researchers better understand and characterize the single cell.
- BD SurePathTM Direct to Slide is a Liquid Based Cytology (LBC) test intended to be used for screening and detection of cervical cancer, pre-cancerous lesions, atypical cells, and all other cytologic categories.
Interventional by advancing the management of high burden diseases and enabling surgical and interventional procedures.
The Leading Light of BD in India
Pavan Mocherla – Managing Director, India and South Asia is among one of the key pillars on which BD is standing tall. Having been associated with BD for 15 years, Pavan is playing an instrumental role in furthering the company’s purpose of advancing the world of health.
In his current capacity as the Managing Director, he is leading and overseeing patient safety initiatives like Antimicrobial Resistance (AMR), Healthcare associated infections (HAI) reduction etc. Pavan is spearheading projects to improve access to technology in the global health space (HIV, TB etc.) by working closely with stakeholders such as central government and multilateral agencies. In the past he has been associated with eminent organizations like Whirlpool, Onida and NIIT Ltd.
BD will continue to lead in areas that are critical to the future of the healthcare industry and the society. It will continue to improve medication delivery and lead in infection prevention and healthcare safety. In 2017, BD welcomed C. R. Bard and its products into the BD family.
With Bard portfolio, they will now be able to advance the world of health by treating high burden diseases and enable surgical and interventional procedures. “Our research insights-based innovations will help transform the infectious disease lab of the future and manage medication across a wide care continuum,” concludes Pavan.