We have all heard of the famous saying, ‘An apple a day keeps the doctor away.’ But what really makes apples so healthy? It is a proven fact that in addition to fibers and vitamins, it has a nutrient called quercin which supports the immune system.
Additionally, just like apples, multiple foods like leafy greens, nuts, and berries are beneficial in a variety of ways. They contain different nutrients, oxidants, omega fatty acids, and vitamins that are essential for your body. However, is your body contended with minerals and vitamins from the intake of primary food?
While healthy diets prove beneficial, to ensure that your body meets the higher nutritional needs of the demanding lifestyle or medical condition, physicians often suggest inculcating supplements in your regular diets. It can help your body meet the specific need for minerals and vitamins while also correcting the deficiencies.
Bringing all of this under one umbrella and providing 400 unique products, Life Extension’s supplements offer important nutrients usually not offered through the average diet while also supporting a state of optimal wellness.
In an interview with Insights Care, its MD, Dr Michael A. Smith, shared facts about the company, its unique approach towards customer relations, and the immense benefits the products have provided to the clients.
Below are the highlights of the interview.
Dr Michael, please tell us about Life Extension in detail.
Life Extension® is a unique concept. It is a supplement company, a field of scientific research, a philosophy—and much more. Our priority has always been partnering with our customers in their pursuit of wellness. From the publication of the first issue of Anti-Aging News in December 1980 to today’s Life Extension Magazine® and an enormous library of digital health content, Life Extension has always put consumer education at the forefront.
Life Extension’s passion for improving human life is evident in all that we do. Not only do our products benefit our customers’ wellness, but since our beginnings, a significant portion of Life Extension’s sales has been devoted to funding longevity research.
Life Extension also has a unique approach to customer relations. By offering phone consultations with knowledgeable health specialists who can answer questions and provide personalized suggestions, we form a wellness partnership with our customers—which, according to our feedback, can be life-changing.
What was your inspiration behind venturing into the nutrition and supplement niche?
My journey from conventional medicines to consumer education at Life Extension was prompted by a search for answers to the questions the patients were asking about nutritional supplements.
What are the USPs that highlight Life Extension as a trusted nutrition supplement provider?
- Science: Life Extension’s products follow the science, not the fads. Innovative nutrient formulas are based on cutting-edge research—some of it done in our own labs. These studies provide valuable support for product efficacy. All product ingredients are independently evaluated for purity and potency.
- Discovery: Life Extension has had many “firsts” in its more than 40 years in the nutrition science marketplace—including being the first American brand to introduce products such as melatonin which has become a widely popular supplement that has improved the lives of millions of men and women.
- Tenacity: Life Extension is passionate about advancing the science of a healthier life. That’s why a portion of revenues generated by Life Extension products is devoted to research in the field of aging.
- Connections: Life Extension believes that life is deeply personal and that consumers should be empowered with the information they need to pursue optimal health. That’s why Life Extension offers individualized, 1:1 guidance with our in-house experts and a wide breadth of health protocols, e-books, wellness blogs, and more.
Tell us about your nutritional supplements and what benefits do these supplements provide to your clients?
Life Extension offers more than 400 unique products, including multi-nutrient formulas, single nutrients, functional foods and beverages, products targeted to specific needs, nonprescription hormone supplements (such as melatonin), and skin and personal care items. Advanced formulas are developed and made available to consumers in keeping with the progress of research findings.
In addition, Life Extension is one of the few companies that offer lab testing by mail. We ensure providing quality enabled nutritional supplements that provide benefits like
- Good health is not just the absence of disease. By supplying essential nutrients usually not offered through the average diet, Life Extension’s supplements support a state of optimal wellness.
- Life Extension’s supplements contain ingredients and potencies that support well-being and youthfulness based on the most recent data revealed by scientific studies. These findings are shared with our customers, supporting purchasing confidence.
- Life Extension’s supplement formulations are continually reviewed. When better forms of a nutrient become available, or scientific studies provide new evidence in support of dosage modifications, products are updated to reflect these new findings.
- Product purchases benefit gerontologic research which, in turn, leads to findings that may benefit consumers.
What were the initial challenges while venturing into the nutrition industry and concerning the current scenario, what are the challenges now?
Focusing on today, the biggest challenges are related to raw material supplies and cost. The post-pandemic world is full of new supplement users, increasing demand for products. Life Extension will never skimp on providing pure and potent supplements to our customers. We are navigating the rising costs with innovations in product formulations, marketing, and customer retention initiatives.
What would be your advice to the aspirants who are willing to venture into the niche of nutritional supplements?
Now is the time to do it! In the face of devitalized food and global health challenges, people are more interested than ever in obtaining the health insurance that supplements provide. Meeting people’s nutritional needs and supporting their well-being is a meaningful and rewarding business endeavor.
Maintain transparency as a company to retain customer confidence, and ‘go the second mile.’
Where do you envision Life Extension eventually, and how do you plan to embrace the changes happening in your industry?
Life Extension is a thought leader in nutrition and longevity and will continue to fill that role for an ever-expanding audience. Changes in the supplement industry are inevitable, and Life Extension will lead to some of those changes.
Life Extension has encouraged a long-term partnership with its customers throughout all life stages. One emerging phenomenon in the supplement industry is personalized nutrition. The availability of a wide variety of lab testing by mail and a team of wellness specialists who offer one-on-one phone consultations seven days a week has enabled Life Extension to provide personalized nutritional recommendations that will be further refined with future knowledge gained in the field.
Life Extension’s continued funding of gerontologic research contributes to the increasing pace of breakthroughs in the field of aging. Some of the knowledge acquired will aid the development of new supplements with benefits yet undreamed.
Dr Michael A. Smith, MD, received his medical doctorate from the University of Texas, Southwestern Medical Center, and practiced Internal Medicine and Radiology in Dallas from 1999 to 2005. After transitioning to the pharmaceutical and nutraceutical industries as an educator and consultant, Dr Mike (as he prefers to go by) joined the Life Extension team, as the Director of Education and official spokesperson.
Dr Mike is the author of The Supplement Pyramid: How to Build Your Personalized Nutritional Regimen and the host of the podcast, ‘Live FOREVERish,’ as well as Life Extension’s Facebook Live show.
Read More inspiring story: Click Here