Surgery of any kind is a traumatic event for the body. The stress and pain the body goes through needs to be accounted for during the recovery period. Proper food and nutrition during this period is a must. The rate at which the body recuperates depends on the amount of nutrients it receives.
- Diet: The most important part to watch post your surgery. Strictly keep to the diet the doctor has recommended. The functioning of the intestines becomes a bit weak during this period. To keep a good and healthy bowel following a physician approved diet is a must.
- Fluid Intake: Make sure you keep yourself hydrated. Water, fruit juice, and coconut water should be an integral part of your daily diet. Keeping yourself hydrated will help with constipation.
- Fiber-rich Foods: Fruits and vegetables, especially leafy vegetables, are fibrous foods, which aid in a combating constipation.
- Small Portions: Replace large portions with smaller, more frequent meals and snacks. This will give you energy at all times and help your body to recuperate faster.
- Protein Intake: These help in boosting the healing process, gives you more energy, and strengthens your immune system.
- Sugar and Alcohol: Avoid the consumption of sugar in excess, cut off alcohol consumption completely, and also avoid processed foods altogether. They can be harmful for the health of the body and can worsen it further.
- Loss of Appetite: In case your appetite is low, ask your doctor for nutritional supplements. Holistic diets, with all the nutrients in a balanced form, are of utmost importance.