Imagine having access to meaningful health data and insights, anytime, anywhere, at your fingertips.
Instead of being solely reliant on hospitals, clinics and face to face office visits, digital health enables new means of receiving the daily support, education and tools people need in supporting their health needs.
Welldoc is at the forefront of this digital health transformation. Welldoc’s flagship product, BlueStar®*, is a digital health solution aimed at individuals with type 1 and type 2 diabetes and has 9 FDA 510(k) clearances.
Welldoc has extended its expertise in diabetes to now offer a multi-condition digital health solution across diabetes, pre-diabetes, hypertension, and heart failure, with built-in behavioral health support, a necessary element to helping individuals throughout their chronic care journey. With its mission of integrating personalized, real-time, and actionable AI-driven insights into the daily lives of individuals living with chronic conditions, Welldoc is not only focused on helping people take control of their conditions, but also on ensuring that these insights are connected to existing care models to support the right interventions and clinical decisions.
However, as digital health solutions proliferate, attempts to incorporate Artificial Intelligence (AI) and Machine Learning (ML) into healthcare have been met with various degrees of success. Welldoc’s advanced AI is the critical engine behind the analytics, insights, and shared decision-making between individuals and their care teams and it works….
Welldoc has been blessed by dynamic and passionate leadership. As President and CEO, Kevin McRaith, leads the Welldoc team to develop and commercialize innovative digital health solutions for people living with chronic disease(s).
Kevin has more than 25 years of experience in the life sciences sector, including biotech, pharmaceuticals, hospital supplies, and digital health.
Before joining Welldoc, he held senior executive roles at Human Genome Sciences, Genentech, and Abbott after starting his career at Baxter Healthcare.
*Welldoc Diabetes Rx/OTC is an FDA-cleared medical device (“BlueStar”), intended for use by healthcare providers and their adult patients with type 1 or type 2 diabetes. For full labeling information, visit www.welldoc.com. The other Welldoc products are non-FDA-cleared and intended to promote general wellness and education/self-management of various chronic disease states.
- 1Shomali M, Peeples M. Implementation strategy for a digital health tool influences user engagement. Diabetes. 2018;67(Suppl 1):1320-P. doi:10.2337/db18-1320-p
All-inclusive and Broad Platform
Welldoc’s advanced AI connects and leverages an individual’s health data across six dimensions of health—medications, labs, diet, activity, symptoms, and psychosocial factors—to seek meaningful correlations to inform real-time digital coaching, personalized insights, and care team support.
The Welldoc Platform includes Welldoc’s flagship product, BlueStar, an FDA-cleared digital health solution, guides individuals through the complicated journey of living with diabetes by enabling them to self-manage their care while enhancing connections to their healthcare team.
The Welldoc Platform includes:
- An AI-driven digital coaching app providing personalized, actionable guidance throughout an individual’s chronic care journey
- Reporting and workflow integration enabling care teams to easily access data insights to inform clinical interventions and decisions
- A Management Portal providing care management with enhanced population-level health data and analysis
- Connectivity to more than 400+ devices and data sources, including fitness trackers, glucose monitors, blood pressure cuffs and weight scales, to allow individuals to leverage the tools they already utilize, and ensure multiple dimensions of health (medications, symptoms, activity, psycho-social, individually generated data and labs) are connected to power Welldoc’s advanced AI engine
Welldoc’s comprehensive chronic care platform is backed by evidence and years of regulatory expertise. The chronic care platform brings first-in-class clinical, tech, and advanced AI expertise, as demonstrated by Welldoc’s 60+ clinical posters and publications, 25 patents, and 9 510(k) FDA clearances for BlueStar.
Welldoc also believes that partnership is the pathway to better management of chronic conditions. Digital health solutions do not work in a silo, and data and insights should be integrated into care models to truly support optimized interventions and clinical decisions.
Welldoc collaborates directly with health plans, health systems, and employers to extend care, improve health, and reduce costs. Its extensive research has shown:
- Average cost savings of $3,048-$3,252/person with Type 2 diabetes, annually2
- A 1.2-2.0 point mean A1C reduction in individuals living with type 2 diabetes3,4
- A Net Promoter Score (NPS) indicating +10 higher consumer satisfaction compared to competitors
Moreover, Kevin stated, “Welldoc is building more comprehensive chronic care programs, focused on prevention, self-management, connected care, and total health.”
- 2IBM Watson Health. Estimating the economic value of a digital therapeutic in type 2 diabetes. Welldoc-sponsored report 2018. Published August 2018.
- 3Tang PY, Duni J, Peeples MM, et al. Complementarity of digital health and peer support: “This Is What’s Coming.” Front Clin Diabetes Health. 2021;2. doi:10.3389/fcdhc.2021.646963
- 4Quinn CC, Sareh PL, Shardell ML, Terrin ML, Barr EA, Gruber-Baldini AL. Mobile Diabetes Intervention for Glycemic Control. Journal of Diabetes Science and Technology. 2014;8(2):362-370. doi:10.1177/1932296813514503
Adoption of Modern Technologies
As a trailblazer in digital health, Welldoc has first-hand knowledge of what it takes to truly impact the adoption of AI-driven digital health and make it part of an updated standard of care.
- Seamless integration into daily life: Our app, as shown in our high customer satisfaction scores, provides people with simple, easy to use tools to connect and manage multiple aspects of their health, like nutrition and activity, while also leveraging this data to deliver personalized AI-driven digital coaching. This helps build awareness while encouraging a healthier lifestyle every step of the way.
- Rigor & Regulatory Expertise: Incorporating and optimizing AI into digital health solutions requires clinical rigor and regulatory pathways to ensure quality, safety, and effectiveness. Welldoc’s regulatory expertise provides the unique ability to apply advanced AI and machine learning to our solution.
- Actionable Insights: Data must be translated into meaningful and actionable insights informing individual behaviors and supporting clinical interventions and treatment plans. This ensures Welldoc’s AI is truly supporting a change from reactive to prevention-based care.
- Care Integration: AI approaches cannot exist separate and siloed from care. For AI-driven insights to be appropriately leveraged to optimize interventions and clinical decisions, they must be integrated into existing care models. Welldoc does not just provide a digital health solution, but rather it partners closely with healthcare leaders to ensure seamless integration into existing workflows. The company recognizes that healthcare is a vastly complicated ecosystem, and without deep partnerships, no amount of data will be impactful enough to create meaningful, longitudinal change.
A Multifaceted Approach
- Globalization: Propelling dynamic, insightful, connected chronic care across the globe is central to Welldoc’s mission. The flexibility and scale of its digital health platform enable integration into all types of healthcare models worldwide. Over the next three years, the company plans to expand commercialization beyond the US and Canada, into both Asia and Europe.
Chronic Care Expansion: Welldoc will continue to integrate offerings for new chronic conditions and comorbidities into the platform based on the needs of individuals and the entirety of its user population. Currently, the platform supports AI-driven digital coaching across prediabetes, type 1 and type 2 diabetes, hypertension, and heart failure.
Recent updates have included the addition of an integrated behavioral health component to provide wraparound support to help sustain behavior change and a new tailored digital coaching experience for those with multiple chronic conditions.
- Increased Regulatory Clearances and Patents: Welldoc will extend its capabilities to support and manage complex chronic conditions by expanding its regulatory clearances in collaboration with its strategic partners.
Additionally, Welldoc remains committed to scientific research and growing its library of 60+ publications and posters in support of the value of digital health, its use in approaches to chronic care, and driving value across healthcare. It will further advance research efforts in multi-digital health engagement, artificial intelligence, cardiometabolic condition outcomes, cost and value, and real-world integration into the health ecosystem.
Welldoc also continues to pursue new patents associated with our first in class technology and AI, beyond the 25 already granted.
- Achieving Scale: It has become increasingly difficult to provide consistent and sufficient care across an aging complex care population due to resourcing shortages in healthcare, exacerbated by the COVID epidemic. Additionally, social determinants of health (SDOH) are contributing to wide health disparities and inequities across a growing, diverse population living with chronic conditions.
Welldoc believes that the digital health solution is critical to scaling and extending care beyond traditional means, while also having an impact on the ~$2 trillion spent on diabetes and cardiovascular conditions.
It continues to expand the partnerships with leaders and innovators in healthcare to achieve this scale in real-world settings. The Welldoc platform provides meaningful and actionable coaching and insights to individuals and the care teams who support them, while also shifting healthcare to prevention and optimized interventions and treatment decisions.
5Waters H, Graf M. The Cost of Chronic Disease in the U.S. Milken Institute; 2018. Accessed September 16, 2021. https://milkeninstitute.org/sites/default/files/reports-pdf/ChronicDiseases-HighRes-FINAL_2.pdf
An Advice Worth Noting
When giving a note of advice, Kevin states, “Staying true to your mission in the constantly evolving digital health industry requires an extraordinary amount of patience and resilience.”
He further continues, “You must continue understanding and adapting to the healthcare landscape to meet the needs of individuals, but also ensure your solution can be integrated into real-world settings and the dynamic healthcare market.”