Amid the coronavirus pandemic, it has become utmost important to stay healthy and have a stronger immune system. While no food or fruit can guarantee to prevent you from catching a cold, flu or coronavirus, it is still essential to take precautions that will help you to guard yourself against these diseases by bolstering your immune system.
Here are five foods that will help to boost your immune system:
- Garlic: It is no surprise that garlic has a no. of benefits. Several pieces of research have shown that people who consume garlic on a regular basis show fewer signs of cold and flu severity, fewer symptoms and a smaller no. of missed days of work or school. The food contains a compound known as allin when chewed or crushed becomes a sulfur-rich compound called allicin. Thus when consumed with herbs, allicin may be able to fight some infections and boost overall immune function. Also, garlic supplements have a significant impact on reducing blood pressure for people suffering from high blood pressure.
- Apple: We have all heard this many times, ‘ an apple a day keeps the doctor away’. Apples are nutritious and contain a flavonoid known as quercetin. This substance helps to reduce the inflammation and also helps to regulate the immune system. According to a study published in the Nutrition Journal, this fruit contains phytochemical antioxidants that help boost the immune system and reduce the risk of chronic diseases.
- Turmeric: A yellow spice which has been used in India for thousands has been known to have surprising medical properties. Curcumin, a compound found in turmeric, has antioxidants and anti-inflammatory effects. A study published in the Journal of Clinical Immunology states that curcumin activates the production of T-cells in the human body, which are the main cells fighting for an individuals’ health and their immune system.
- Citrus Fruits: Citrus fruits contain a high amount of vitamin C, a nutrient that boosts the immune system. They have rich sources of vitamins and minerals along with fiber that helps to improve the digestive system. Though consuming these foods won’t guarantee that these will prevent illness, it has shown to decrease the duration and severity of the common cold. For the people who have weak immune systems and get easily contracted to diseases like cold and flu, consuming these fruits regularly may lower the chances of contraction. Some of the most common citrus fruits are oranges, lemons, grapefruits, etc.
- Nuts: Nuts contain a rich source of vitamin E and B6, copper and folate that play a vital role in supporting the immune system. Nuts such as Walnuts contain anti-inflammatory properties that are necessary to boost one’s immune system. They are also known to reduce psychological stress and possess zinc that keeps the immune system strong and healthy. Besides, they have the property to reduce the risk of other chronic diseases as well as improve one’s blood sugar levels.