It’s not an uncommon sight to see a couple looking for infertility treatment these days. When a couple visits with their parents, the parents always have this questioning look on their face; why this generation has so many infertility issues, it was never this way at our times. Often my friends and families consult me about the same. The problem is so much prevailed that people generally want to consult a gynecologist before planning a baby to check if everything is alright.
After doing the in depth research with more than 100 patients of infertility, at my clinic; I have found out the most common causes of infertility in both males and females.
- Unhealthy and Insufficient Diet: This is an era of quick foods. Long working hours at office and excessive workload make them think that they should grab a quick meal instead of a complete Indian Thali. Even if they eat Indian food it comes out of office canteen. People are eating outside more and more. When we eat outside food the hygiene and quality of food is not guaranteed. Instead of fruits, nuts, milk etc. as a “To Go Snack” working people are majorly consuming sandwiches, vada pao, pav bhaji etc. which provide minimum or no nutrition at all. To suppress their hunger people take help of tea, coffee, black teas and coffees etc. This is a wrong practice. People should understand the importance of food and health. People should carry healthy snacks such as fruits and nuts along with them.
- Obesity & Malnutrition: Metro cities like Pune, Mumbai, Delhi etc. has more industries and more and more people are into sitting jobs. Continuous sitting with an imbalanced diet leads to weight gain, obesity and malnutrition.
- Irregular and Insufficient Sleep: Mobiles phones and extended working hours have snatched the sleep from people in today’s time. Generally people sleep and wake up at different times on weekdays than weekends which induces hormonal imbalance and leads to health complication including infertility.
- Stress: Busy lifestyle, career priority, long working hours leaves a person stressful and exhausted at the end of the day. A stressful mind leads to health complications.
- Lack of Physical Activity: Our facilitated world leaves no space for physical activity. For example, people own private vehicles and do minimum walking while commuting for daily works; most of the buildings have lifts and people use them even if they have to go up by one floor; most of the people don’t play sports because of lack of time. Lethargy is more prevalent and one feels lazy to do any physical activity.
- Planning Past Fertile Period: Keeping career as a priority people push the baby planning to future. Our fertility decreases with age. For women the fertility window starts to close after 35 while men are fertile till late ages. But even if one partner has passed the fertile period it becomes difficult to conceive.
- Excessive or Wrong Use of Birth Control Measures: For long term child control women tend to use birth control pills. In some cases it can affect their fertility. One should opt for better and harmless ways of birth control. So far condoms have been proved as the most harmless method.
- Alcohol, Smoking & Drug Abuse: In metro cities, weekend and late night parties are becoming a part of life. People consume much more amount of alcohol than the ideal allowance, which leads to infertility. Movies and television influences people to indulge into smoking and drugs. People start with these habits at early ages and by the time they make the decision of having kids; their fertile health is already gone.
About the Author
Dietician Neha Pundir is a Nutritionist based in Pune, India. She has a B.Sc. in Clinical Nutrition and Dietetics from University of Lucknow, P.G.D. In Dietetics and Hospital food services from IHM Pusa, New Delhi; Certification in Diabetes Education from Apollo Hospital, and M. Sc. in Dietetics from Swami Vivekanand Subharti University, Meerut. Neha is a weight loss diet expert. She has a rich and varied experience in the field of dietetics and specializes in providing customized diet plans for a healthy lifestyle. She is helping people to reach to their health related goals with his healthy diets & lifestyle.
Neha provides weight loss diet consultations online. Online diet consultation, customized online diet plans, personalized Diet chart are provided for services like fast and healthy weight loss, healthy weight gain, control and manage diabetes , Healthy Hair & Skin Care Diet Packages for Men & Women, Online diet for Pregnancy & Lactation, Sports Nutrition diet and other disease management. Email & phone consultation is also provided.